Vice President and Managing Director, Xiaomi India
Manu is a doting father, loving husband, amateur cartoonist, passionate marketer and spearheads India operations for Xiaomi, but above all he is a dreamer. He is passionate about new ideas and finds inspiration in everyday routines. Prior to joining Xiaomi, he co-founded Jabong, a leading fashion e-commerce company in India where he was responsible for sales and marketing. He also worked with McKinsey & Company as an Engagement Manager. Manu has a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering and is an MBA from IIM Calcutta. All his spare time is dedicated in babysitting his son Jordan and spending time with his wife.
What makes a great leader?
A great leader in my opinion is the one who builds a team of excellent people who can outperform him any given day. A great leader enables each team member to be an inoculate leader himself and provides relevant learnings. But a true leader is the one who is always learning from his team and is constantly innovating.
What are the 3 most important qualities an entrepreneur should have ?
- It is needless to say that each entrepreneur has to be a visionary. No man with shortsightedness ever achieved anything in life.
- It is extremely important for the entrepreneur to learn to unlearn and keep innovating.
- Nothing makes you successful more than a humble heart and a modest mindset with a smile on your face. It is the positivity in life which will help you kick all obstacles and win your battles.
Why did you choose to be a part of the Kstart eco-system?
I am a dreamer and I thrive to innovate. K-start believes in helping amazing founders with disruptive ideas to build next-gen companies and I support this vision at the core of my heart. I believe that the only constant in this world is innovation and each budding idea should be nurtured and cared for, because one can never know where the next Lei Jun, Mark Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs or Sir Ratan Tata may emerge.
The one thing you wish you had known when you were 25 ?
It was a piece of advice which came from my mother few years ago. She said that life is all about finding the perfect balance between ‘happiness’ and ‘progress’. She told me – “a person should be satisfied enough to be happy, but dissatisfied enough to progress”.
While the dissatisfaction will drive you to do more and grow further, the satisfaction in you will allow you to be always happy and humble. I believe most of the successful people find this balance between happiness and growth.
Books you’d Recommend ?
- The Greatest Salesman in the World by Og Mandino
- You can Win by Shiv Khera ( he was the one of the most impactful speakers I have interacted with)
- Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff by Richard Carlson
- Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson (no one can teach you about life better than C&B)
- Who Moved My Cheese? by Spencer Johnson
- Life on Air: Memoirs of a Broadcaster by David Attenbourgh
- Pour Your Heart Into It: How Starbucks Built a Company One Cup at a Time by Howard Schultz
- Invincible Iron Man comic book collection (Coz I am a day of a 4 year old boy)